Curiosity is in my blood. Every phase of my career has been marked by a passion for exploring avenues and following hunches. Correspondingly I have carried out qualitative user research throughout my career as an information architect, usability consultant and user experience architect. Eventually in 2014 after several years as Deputy Head and Director of User Experience at Tribal I was appointed Research Director, with a specific brief for both early stage (discovery) and late stage (validation) user research on client projects.
I found this refreshing: instead of being permitted to implement user goals only where permitted by business goals, for the first time my primary responsibility was simply to discover and relay the truth.
I began by compiling an audit of all common research methodologies and how they fit within the project process. This informed my approach to selling research as an activity within Tribal.
(selected items have viewable PDFs : please use same password as for this site)
- Volkswagen Customer App
- My Perfect Volkswagen customer survey
- Volkswagen Fleet Audience survey
- Also drafted research plan and supervising research strategy implemented by local research partners in Santiago, Chile.
- Fallabella Global Best Practice Review
- Review of existing Avios site for successful pitch
- Slides reviewing Seguros Falabella site for successful pitch
- Exxon global microsites
- VW My Perfect
Mental Model development
- Post-processing of My VW workshop results to form stakeholder mental models of the domain and generate features backlog
Features Validation tests
A form of test we developed using description, mockups and prototypes as a straw man to assess how much various features were valued by customers
Remote usability testing
- Planning, commissioning and analysis of remote user testing for new car recommendation section in www.vw.co.uk
- My Perfect Volkswagen R2
Bipolar Emotional Response Tests
- MyVW customer app guerrilla usability testing
Reverse card sort/tree testing
- VW Retailers
- VW Customer App
Usability benchmark testing
- Development of the Tribal Retail Index: benchmark index with 50 leading e-commerce sites rated for usability and best practices
Competitor benchmark reviews
- VW Customer App